Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Mutantgenius Manifesto

I've ignored this thing for to long so I decided to try again and restart this we'll see how long it lasts...


This was originally written by my brother long time ago and it was the seed for many ideas. Well I'm gotten tired of waiting for the collective to get going so I'm starting something. Don't know what it's going to be or how well it will turn out but here goes nothing...

Mutant Genius: A name that initially popped into my head to glorify my own deviant nature (I think I was writing a poem about eating paste). It was a label to define my friends, friends who for the most disdain labels (even when they fit). A complement and an insult at the same time. I thought it had a lovely ring to it. About three or four years ago I decided to put together a print 'zine. I wanted to provide an outlet for my friends and myself, a focus for undirected creativity. I wanted to make the ultimate 'zine. I NEEDED to entertain and inspire. At least I hoped that it would occasionally answer the question, "What do you wanna do?" Perfectionism-pessimism and general apathy kept it from becoming a reality. Only a legal pad of brainstorming, and the idea itself survived. The seed was planted. Then one day I used my computer for something other than playing video games. I discovered that the World Wide Web wasn't just a place where my idiot friends put up embarrassing Homepages about themselves. I learned that it was a beautiful, effective, and accessible resource. There was something so intrinsically DIY and punk rock about WebPages I knew that it was the forum for me (well right after Penthouse Forum). I heard the name "Mutant Genius" echo in my head again. The seed sprouted. Here was my chance. I would encapsulate and glorify lazy brilliance, jaded idealism. Provide a voice for artists who don't want to starve, but don't want to sell out. Give Losers with amazing potential a chance to realize that potential. Encourage overgrown children trying to outgrow their stagnate suburban upbringing (without growing up to much), to leave their mom's house. Let Bedroom DJ's be heard. Show that all Waffle House writers do not necessarily suck. Show that beautiful photographs can be taken by the purple haired nineteen-year-olds. To get amateur filmmakers off my couch. To change unemployed Internet dorks from "DungeonMasters" into "webmaster". Help pizza boys get the rock stardoms they deserve. I would make the world a better, therefore more interesting place for you and I, Basically. I was impassioned; this was something I had to be a part of right away... Flash forward a year or two, past a lot of false starts, and excuses (valid and otherwise). Finally, I coerced enough of my friends to do the work for me. I am still following the same dreams; I am still grabbing beyond my reach. The difference is I have learned how to "delegate responsibilities". I hope to make more friends soon so I can do even less work and reap all the benefits. Anyway, I hope that you are (Or will be) enlightened, entertained, inspired, or at least slightly less bored for having visited this site. Also please keep in mind that this is a work in progress and I hope that it will expand beyond my control and devour the earth, or something... Colin P.S. This site is for all the mutant geniuses of the world. Lend our twisted monster some of yourself, so that it may mutate even further. So give us your "two cents". P.S.S. Tip your waiter at least 15%.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home